Thursday, November 12, 2015

Thoughts on Having Twins

My first thought was holy shit you're joking right? Followed by some hysterical half laughing, half sobbing.  As we talked about trying for a third baby the thought of twins never crossed my mind. Not for a single second. NO twins on either side of our families for a million years, that we know of. Because we were trying I knew around 5 weeks that I was pregnant. I sent a pic of the stick to my friend Allison & she said "wow, that positive line is really dark for being so early!!" Apparently my poor hormones were already raging out of control.
Because I had a blighted ovum miscarriage before I had Mia, I'm always super anxious for the first ultrasound. Anxious to see that tiny flicker of a heart beat. Usually the ob won't get you in until 8-10 weeks pregnant. The thought of waiting a month to know if it was a viable pregnancy seemed like forever. Then I heard about a clinic that was training new u/s techs, looking for women who were less than 8 weeks. I scheduled the appointment half nervous & half bummed because Damon couldn't get off work. He encouraged me to go anyway because he knew it would put my mind at ease. "Just text me as soon as you know everything is ok," he said! So at 6 weeks 2 days I went in for the ultra sound by myself.
The belly ultrasound showed one sac with no heartbeat. I started to panic. The 5 woman in the room all told me not to panic it was common this early. So on to the internal u/s. I can't exactly remember what the tech said but this is what I saw. Baby A & Baby B. The minute you see that heartbeat on the screen your life instantly changes. With unexpected twins it was like I lost control of my world for a second. I knew we wanted three but four was not in the plans. Future vacations, lack there of, diapers, formula and child care flashed in my mind for several weeks. I was excited even thrilled, but spinning with shock too.
Around 7.5 weeks the morning/ALL DAY sickness arrived. It was HORRIBLE.  I never threw up. I was just constantly nauseous. I couldn't move from the couch. I cried all day. I couldn't work past 1 pm. I finally went to the doctor and said SAVE ME!! 4 Diclegis and 2 Pepcid every day for the next 6 weeks and I survived the first trimester. Definitely the worst of all three pregnancies. Then I started my many, many appointments with the high risk doctors. Every 2 weeks I get to see my beautiful boys, I'm not sick anymore and not quite big enough to be uncomfortable. Every time I see them on the screen its mind blowing to think they are both in there, snuggling away. Literally, mind blown. Heart quadrupled.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww I love this Liz! Thanks for sharing!! SO SO excited for your family!! Such exciting times ahead!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...