Monday, February 3, 2014

Vegan Friendly Chili & the Cutest Gpa Sweater

I volunteered to make dinner on Saturday, a rarity for sure. When I told Damon what was on the menu......he ordered pizza. HAHA No hard feelings, more for me & I got to add mushrooms.  DELICIOUS Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili adapted from this recipe at The Simple Veganista .  I'll spare you pictures of the ugly quinoa. Here's Mims enjoying th 50 degree warm up. How adorable is this Gap sweater I snagged at OUAC?  She's gna steal your grandpa's style...
  • 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can (15 oz) corn drained
  • 1 can (15 oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes
  • 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
  • 1 large sweet pototo, diced (with or without the skin...I leave the skin on)
  • 1 cup dry quinoa
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 box sliced baby bellas YUMMMM
  • 5 - 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil (my new obsession)
  • 1  tablespoons chili powder (lowered amount bc I was afraid of over powering the potato)
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • a few dashes of garlic powder
  • a few dashes of onion powder
  • sea salt to taste
  • 4 cups (32 oz) vegetable broth
  • Serve w/ avocado & sprinkle w cilantro 
In large pot heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, cook until soft and they start to turn brown. Add garlic, cook for another minute or so. Add  tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder and onion powder, cook for 2 more minutes stirring constantly. Add tomatoes, liquids, beans, mushrooms and sweet potato, stir until combined. Add quinoa, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover slightly ajar and cook for 30 - 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
We've been using the Melissa & Doug responsibility chart to practice manners & such. She got a little confused but was sooooo proud!!  "Mom, can I get a smiley face for using my imagination today? Sure, baby what did you do? I said Please & Thank you." HAHA There may have also been an unfortunate raking incident with her unicorn. "Mom, my crouch hurts..." 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...